16 Mar KVMA Announcements on COVID-19 – suggested protocols, HR6201, UK Diagnostic Center
Hello KVMA Members;
The KVMA is following many different updates that are being issued concerning Covid-19 from the State of KY, CDC, AVMA and more. The KVMA will continue to monitor this ongoing crisis and we are deeply sorry for everyone that has been impacted. You may read about HR6201 – Families First Coronavirus Response Act in the attachment and in the press release below from the AVMA.
We will keep our membership updated as we receive news into our office. I will be very descriptive on the subject line. This e-mail contains information from the UK Diagnostic Lab, suggestions for protocols and examples and lastly AVMA updates. This is a long e-mail, but please take the time to familiarize yourself with this information. Please contact the KVMA office for any of your questions, we are here to help you manage through your daily questions.
- UK Diagnostic Center: Just letting our valued clients know that the UK Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Lexington, KY is open for full services on our normal schedule (Mon-Fri 8-5; Sat 9-5; Sun 1-5). The school and other closures related to the COVID 19 outbreak may result in reduced staffing which could delay some test results. Thanks for understanding—we stand ready to assist you!
- These are steps that one of our KVMA Board members is putting in place for business protocols. You may choose to do any of these that may fit your needs for your clinic and staff.
- Please call from your car when you arrive to receive instructions
- Only 1 adult brings the patient into vet hospital and hands pet off to vet assistant
- Return to your car and conversation will be by phone with vet regarding exam, diagnostics, and treatment options
- Pay by credit card with bill emailed to you immediately by Square, our credit card processing service
- Pull up to door and pet and meds will be brought to your car
- Please no children in the veterinary hospital, and our bathroom will be for employees only
- Surgical and anesthetic procedures will be taken on a case-by-case situation
- We are trying our best to keep meds in stock — please call at least 3 days in advance for refills
- Thank you for your understanding as (insert your clinic name) keeps our clients, patients, and employees as healthy as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In order to mitigate the risk of exposure to COVID-19 during interactions with clients, the AAEP Infectious Disease Committee share the following advice for veterinary professionals:
- Require hand sanitization for all clients entering and leaving a clinic/hospital.
- Institute for staff a no-hand-shake policy with clients and visitors to the clinic/hospital as well as with each other. Hand sanitization between all client interactions should be required.
- Limit the number of individuals attending an appointment to one owner/handler. Additional owners can be asked to join the appointment via FaceTime or speakerphone.
- Ensure that those responsible for cleaning your practice, ambulatory vehicle ad equipment are using appropriate disinfectants for COVID-19. These products are effective in killing viral pathogens, including COVID-19. Focus cleaning efforts on door/stall handles, railings, flat door handles, shared practice equipment and other frequently touched surfaces.
- Prior to each upcoming appointment, communicate your healthy practice procedures to clients. Reschedule the appointments of any clients exhibiting symptoms of illness that include cough, fever and/or shortness of breath, or have traveled to an area of active COVID-19 transmission within the previous two weeks. Access CDC travel information here.
- If an animal must receive immediate medical evaluation and the owner is ill, ask the owner to arrange for another individual to be present.
- Temporarily waive cancellation policies for ill owners.
- Conduct telemedicine rechecks for patients when possible.
- Reschedule client education seminars and other group practice events.